Friday, August 26, 2011

28- Being Good

The upcoming topic will be What's Missing?  Join me Monday to see more! 

Do you ever wonder what the benefits are of leading a good life?  Why is it so important and why does it matter?  I remember my Mom always saying, do unto others as you would have them do unto you.  While that is a very valid reason to live a good life, I also think it goes much deeper than that.

I used to struggle with the message I got when I saw good things happening to bad people and bad things happening to good people.  How is it fair to have to face bad things when you try so hard to be good and why do some people have great things happen to them when they are not the most upstanding of citizens? 

I finally had an epiphany about this a few years ago.  I realized the most important thing about living a good life is how it makes you feel inside.  It is all about how you feel when you help others, do good for your community or come from a good healthy place in your heart.  You may be the only one that gets to feel this, but it is such a great feeling.  You get the blessings, peace of mind and clear conscience of knowing you are coming from a place of love.  It is crazy to think that we are the beneficiaries when we do good for others, but that is exactly what happens.  The more good we do, the better we feel inside and the more we grow!

I was on a coaching call the other day and the speaker, Derek Rydall, made a comment that goes right along with this topic.  He said "the true state of poverty is being unhappy on the inside".  His point is exactly right.  How we feel on the inside is so important and it shapes so much of who we are.  We make choices each day that shape how we feel on the inside.  When we are doing good, we feel good.  When we are doing bad, we feel bad and what could be worse than that? 

Questions:
Either journal about these topics or spend some time thinking about each of your answers.
- How do you choose to live your life?
- Do you try to live a good positive life?
- Are you happy on the inside?
- If not, what do you need to do on the outside to feel good on the inside?
- Can you understand that it is the inside that matters most?
- How do you need to live to be at peace on the inside?
- What changes do you need to make in your life?

Fieldwork:
Think about your life and how you live it.  If there are things you need to do to feel better on the inside, start to make those changes.  Do the things you need to do so you feel great on the inside.

Bonus Challenge:
Make a list of 5 things you can do for others and go out and do those things.  Think about how you feel each time you do one of the items from your list.  Notice the changes this makes on the inside.

Quote: Topic 28: Abraham Lincoln-When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That's my religion.
Enjoy the journey!
Coach Gaye

No comments:

Post a Comment