Thursday, March 31, 2011

9B- Let Go of the Past

Hi everyone,

If you read the blog earlier in the week and you are working on letting things from the past go, great job!!  I know this is really hard to do so keep up the good work.  If you are reading the blog for the first time, you may want to go back to topic 9A before doing 9B.  You can also go to any other topics that interest you, or for maximum growth, start at 1A and work your way through the topics.

I know our past issues are something we all have in common.  We have all dealt with something that has affected us negatively.  Our past has shaped who we are and how we react to everything.  By holding onto the negative, we are letting the bad things win.  Take control and decide to let them go.  Most often we remember the bad that has happened and forget the good.  Decide how you will let your past affect you.

For me, I grew up in a family situation that was not ideal.  Without going into too much detail, there were things that happened that could definitely have a negative impact on me and my relationships with others.  I have really had to work on not letting myself be the victim.  Instead of holding onto the things that were negative, I have chosen to look at the good that was there.  While there were bad things that happened, there were also many good things and I am not going to lose those because they are overshadowed by the negative.  I can be bitter at those involved for their poor choices, or I can understand that they did the best they could.  My past experiences, both the good and the bad, have made me into the person I am today so I choose to see my whole past as a good experience.  I have learned so much from the negative.  For everyone, this process is going to be different.  Find what will work for you to move on and let the past go!  You deserve a wonderful life!

Questions:
- How does your past affect you?
- Do you  hold onto the negative from your past?
- What would it take for you to let it go?
- What can you do that you have control over?
- What do you need to do to see the past in a more positive light?
- What positive choices will you make today?

Fieldwork:
Think of the bad things that have happened to you.  Was there any good in any of those situations?  Did you learn something valuable?  How can you reshape your thoughts so you are able to see things in a more positive way?

Quote: Johnny Cash-You build on failure. You use it as a stepping stone. Close the door on the past. You don't try to forget the mistakes but you don't dwell on it. You don't let it have any of your energy, or any of your time, or any of your space.

Enjoy the journey!
Coach Gaye

No comments:

Post a Comment